Sunday, June 13, 2010

From Monster Fail to Epic Win


So today, my friend and I went to Long Beach City College Stadium for the Hi-Performance Swap Meet, where folks who sell classic cars and car parts come together for a day. Unfortunately, it's more or less lost its luster, since the event gets smaller, and smaller, and smaller every time. There was nothing of interest, and there were no real good-looking cars this time around.

Figuring this was a waste of time, we decided to head to Sunset Boulevard and check out Amoeba Music. After gathering up a basket-load of CDs to listen to, we headed upstairs to the movie section to have a listen. Unbeknownst to us, they had moved the listening booths downstairs, way back by the jazz station. We had climbed stairs for nothing.

Until...

We are ready to walk down the stairs, when my friend points down, and says to me:
"Hey, is that Danzig?"
I follow his finger, and, sure enough, someone who looked like Glenn Danzig of The Misfits fame was starting to ascend the stairs, directly towards us. As my friend and I asked each other if it was indeed him, he passed us and proceeded to browse the cult classics section. We nonchalantly follow, still unsure. I finally tell my friend to ask, figuring it was a 50/50 shot. So he does.

"Excuse me, are you Danzig?"
"Yeah." (score!)
"Can me and my friend get a picture with you?"
"Make it quick."

I extricated my camera from my cargo pocket, handed it to his female companion to photograph us, and the rest is history. Suffice it to say, it was an awesome end to an otherwise bust of a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment